Sound Design: Task 4


Vexille

Assessment Task 4 (Criteria 2.1 & 3.1)

‘As a whole group you will act as a re-dubbing sound design team for the Science Fiction Anime film ‘Vexille’ (2007). Your brief is to create a new sound design for the English language release of the film.’

Create a sound design for the first 13 minutes of: ‘Vexille’ (2007)

Brief – As a whole group you will act as a re-dubbing sound design team for the Science Fiction Anime film ‘Vexille’ (2007). Your brief is to create a new sound design for the English language release of the film.

You will be given a muted version of the opening 13 minutes of the film (with subtitles as a guide for dialogue). Therefore, it is your task to research, plan, record, edit and mix the production to the clients specifications.

Your group will be split into smaller satellite teams which will be responsible for different departments in the Production and Post-Production phases. You will then all individually, create a completed, stereo mix of the film.

This particular unit is focused on sound design so therefore you will be graded on your ability construct a coherent and technical competent sound design for the production. You will be expected to use correct equipment to capture audio and also use sound design techniques to enhance the production aesthetics.

 

For this task, our group was split into several groups consisting of 3-5 members. Each group would be responsible for creating and recording certain areas of the sound design for the opening scene from Vexille. The film required a team for ADR (Additional Dialogue Replacement), Atmosphere, Foley and SFX which was split into three subsections of weaponry, impact and machinery. After the recording process, everybody was told to create an individual edit using the sounds created. If anyone wanted extra sounds such as music scores or additional sound effects they were able to do so by sourcing the royalty free sounds online and crediting the artist.

I was in the Foley team and the SFX team but helped out a few times with other groups. I was in a group with Richard and Jordan, both excellent to work with. They created some very creative sound effects that worked well and were really easy to work with. Although the majority of the groups did well and recorded some good sounds, unfortunately not all groups had the same level of commitment. Some members of the group did not record any of the sound effects which made things difficult for everybody else. This meant that several sounds throughout the film were missing and had to be sourced by everybody else. Admittedly there were some sounds that I was responsible for that could have been better but overall I feel the recording process went well with my groups. I think some people in the group did not contribute enough to the project which was a shame as it was meant to be a joint effort by everybody.

Mac Setup

The recording process was done using Jon’s Mac and Garageband, and a selection of microphones (pictured above). The Mac we used was connected to an audio mixer that helped us to establish a decent signal strength before recording. After we learned how to record a decent sound, it was just a case of getting in to the right routine. Garageband was user friendly and I enjoyed learning how to set up a proper recording. After a few attempts at recording footsteps and listening back to the results, I was comfortable with the software and could set up a recording on my own.

Although the recording process sounded simple enough, after a few attempts at recreating certain sounds, we learned just how difficult it can be to create a realistic sounding recording. For example recording the footsteps sounded easy but we had to find the correct surface and layer pillows, shower curtains and many other items we found on top just to create the effects of walking on snow. We had to go through this process many times depending on the surface characters were walking on. Thinking of surfaces and creating them in a studio environment proved to be a creative process that gave rewarding results when done right. Pictured below is myself on the recording desk and Richard, Jordan and Craig creating the noises by the mic.

After all of the sounds were recorded, the sounds were synched to the video by Jordan and Richard who did us all a huge favour and saved everybody a lot of time. Below is a screenshot of the editing process.

My Final Video

At first I tried to export the video at college but the export settings weren’t quite right. It was taking hours to export so after asking Jon, we changed some of the settings and tried again, this seemed to be much better however at 99% a message appeared saying there was not enough disk space to complete the export. By this time it was approaching 5pm so I decided to delete some sounds and videos to create enough disk space and try again at home. I deleted enough to make space and began the export again. However when I tried to play the finished video I was not able to because it was in an unsupported format for my laptop. Annoyed, I tried to upload the video to YouTube but couldn’t (Screenshot Pictured), then I tried Vimeo which didn’t work either (Screenshot Pictured). It was getting late by now so I decided to just try and export anything that I could submit in time. After reading YouTube’s recommended file formats I tried to export the video as an FLV which didn’t work either. So eventually I decided to export using anything just so that I could submit in time. Hence, my video is not in the correct format but I felt I should submit at least something. I’m not sure what the problem was with the exporting of the video but it might have been because I’m using a Windows laptop instead of a Mac seeing as nobody else seemed to have problems. Final settings pictured.