Genero Task 3


Genero Task 3 – Rolo: Shoot

Assessment Task 3: Manage the Production – Unit 80: (Criteria: 3.1, 3.2, 4.1, 4.2 & 4.3)

On the day we planned to shoot our video we learned in the morning that the deadline for the submission was a week earlier than we thought, meaning that the finished video would have to be submitted by the following day before 12.00 noon. This was massively disappointing for us as we had prepared our shoot to last a couple of days. We had purchased foam boards to create the sets, Play-Doh for creating the characters and many other items we thought would add some nice touches to our video such as miniature feathers for the characters head dresses, lollypop sticks to attach props to and stick on facial features to give our characters a comic touch.

At first we were so dissapointed that we decided to just cut our losses, give up on the Rolo project and look for another project that we could do instead. But after much thought and encouragement from tutors, we decided to just go for it and see what we could acomplish in the single day.

The first thing we did was sit down and think logically about where we could save time. So we created a very rough storyboard and cut out some scenes that were going to do to free up some time. As Frankie set about creating a storyboard to follow, I went to find some equipment Fortunately, I still had my camera, lenses and tripods in my car from the previous day so I went to get them and we filmed with a standard 18-55mm lens so we had the option of zooming in if we didn’t want to move the sets. We also needed a Mac, DragonFrame software and some spare batteries. After some rushing about we finally had all the equipment we needed to film so I began to set up. We were filming our video in D8 because there were no windows which meant it would be a bit easier to control the lighting and temperature, something very important for stop motion and using play doh which is very difficult to mould if it gets too hot or too cold. Pictured below is the set up and Frank making slight alterations to characters before we began shooting.

After we set up all the equipment and drew the sets we were ready to begin shooting. Frankie and I drew up a shot list (pictured below) so we tried to follow it as best we could. By the time everything was ready for filming it was gone midday so the afternoon was spent entirely on trying to get something completed and after hours of slight adjustments to set and characters we had done all we could. We ended up leaving college at 6.45 so we felt we had given a good effort regardless. We left so late because after we had finished the shooting, we had some issues with exporting the final sequence as a video, with thought this might have something to do with the amount of space on the hard drive or our settings stopping it from exporting. We ended up exporting the project as an image sequence and then importing them into premiere for the edit.

 

The Edit:

 

During the editing process we needed to find some sounds to go over the top. We wanted tribal sounding chanting to match the visuals so we looked on freesound.org to see if there was anything suitable and we found exactly what we wanted.

Sounds sourced from www.freesound.org:

https://www.freesound.org/people/sovy/sounds/172302/

https://www.freesound.org/people/Seidhepriest/sounds/170921/

https://www.freesound.org/people/unchaz/sounds/150954/

Obviously the main problem we had was time. We were so set on getting something completed before the end of the day that the quality of our video definitely suffered as a result. On previous animation projects we had to start again a few times because of lighting differences or the clay drying out, however in this case we simply didn’t have the time to start again. I think our initial idea was good and with better planning and more time I think we could have done it justice but because of the surprise lack of time we definitely missed a good opportunity to make something decent. Areas to improve on for future projects will obviously be to ensure I read and fully understand the dates, rules and restrictions of competitions to avoid anything like this happening again. Although I was initially pleased that we had actually finished something on the day, the quality of the finished video was so disappointing I didn’t think it was even worth submitting but we did anyway so we could at least say we met the deadline in time.

After we submitted the video, I showed it a couple of friends to get some feedback and they all agreed that the initial idea was good but the finished video was obviously rushed and had some quite noticeable flaws, for example some of the frames don’t quite sync up in terms of lighting or shape of characters, which I didn’t notice at first but I was pleased it was pointed out for the sake of future improvement. I completely agree with the feedback received and was pleased that people at least acknowledged the amount of effort it took to get anything completed in such a short amount of time, however this was completely our own fault. I was very dissapointed to have wasted such a good idea but it was good experience that has taught me a lot for future projects, first and foremost to firmly establish a deadline date to have the project completed, preferably before the competition deadline itself.